16.1.07

Seriously, you are all idiots!

I am not going to crack open a sixer of long, drawn out diatribe lager on the many things that irritate me about public transportation, mostly because I am a major fan of it and the system I ride regularly. However the one thing that consistently grinds my gears are the incorrigible assholes who insist on blocking the middle and rear doorways of buses packed to capacity as people try to get on or off at stops. It's nothing more than apathy and entitlement in my mind.

Instead of people able to flow off the bus creating space before new passengers fill said space, these human pylons stand with that disconnected, off-in-space look on their faces as people struggle to push past them getting on and off. This causes people around them to have to move in ways not often completely platonic in order to create enough space for people to move past them, all the while, the bus is stopped longer slowing everyone down.

The solution to this dear reader is simple and something I practice myself...

STEP OFF THE FREAKING BUS TO LET PEOPLE OFF, THEN STEP BACK ON WITH THE NEXT ROUND OF PASSENGERS!!!

It's not rocket surgery, nor does it require more than two steps and the willingness to find a new place to sit or stand when getting back on the bus. There is the added benefit if you are someone who might want to try practicing courtesy in that you can also hold the doors open while people get off the bus after you have stepped off. But I suppose that kind of selfless act is lost these days.

It's inconsiderate, lazy and just plain stupid and I wish the transit security would yank people guilty of this act off the bus and make them get back on again to symbolically beat it into their skulls. They sure don't have problems removing passengers for not paying, so why not for making other people's commutes more difficult?

No comments: